Are your pets disaster-ready?
June is National Pet Preparedness Month, and as advocates for your pets' health and safety, we're sharing important resources and helpful tips to make sure you and your furry family are ready for just about anything!
Link: Get a free pet rescue window decal from the ASPCA here to alert first responders about how many pets are in your home.
With Easter just around the corner, we thought it'd be a good time to remind pet owners with kids to keep the Easter baskets and candy stash up and away from your pets!
Curious noses are attracted to these sweet treats, and most pet owners know that chocolate is bad for dogs, but do you know why?
Chocolate contains Theobromine, a compound that humans can easily metabolize. Dogs' bodies do not process Theobromine well, causing it to build up in their bodies and produce serious side effects.
Severe cases of chocolate toxicity can lead to muscle tremors, seizures, heart arrhythmia, or even death.
If you suspect your dog has ingested chocolate, here's what we'll want to know:
Call us right away. Do not wait to look for side effects!
After hours, contact a 24-hour emergency veterinarian or call the ASPCA Pet Poison Helpline.
If a toxic dose of chocolate was ingested, early treatment is critical. At the hospital, we are able to safely induce vomiting and administer fluid therapy, if needed. The type of treatment needed will depend on your dog's specific situation.
EMERGENCY CONTACT NUMBERS
Write something about yourself. No need to be fancy, just an overview.